Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Back from the Dead (Mostly)

So I dropped of the face of the earth for a week.  I have an excuse: I was dying.  Or at least, I was wishing I could.  Worst virus ever.  On the good news side, I did have a fuzzy, warm body nearby to keep me toasty through fever and chills.

We call this "pike" position.  Very Greg Louganis of you, Oscar.

I seem to be returning to the land of the living, however, courtesy of a really spectacular shot from my friendly urgent care doctor, and I am once again parenting, teaching, writing, and digging my way out from under the mountain of laundry that accumulated during my convalescence.  We all have clean underwear at least, so I'm calling that a domestic win.  

Don't have time for a long and juicy post today, so I'll just update you on what I'm reading.  Still plowing through 1Q84.  Okay, maybe plowing is a poor word choice.  It's really good; it's just really, really long.  A couple of my library reserves came in, and they are only 14-day checkouts, so Murakami had to go on hold for a few days.  The two books are Find Me, by Laura van den Berg, and 10:04, by Ben Lerner.  


I'm reading the Laura van den Berg first.  I met her once, and she was really wonderful, so I was excited to read her first novel (I already own one of her short story collections.)  So far, it does not disappoint.  I just picked it up yesterday afternoon, and I'm already half-way through.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that it leaves Station Eleven (a book with similar subject matter that got raves last year) in the dust.  Can't wait to finish it tonight.  

For now, it's time to go pick up Kiddo from preschool, grade some papers, and do some more laundry.  I'd make some snarky comment about the exciting nature of my life, but I'm just happy so not to be throwing up that I can't find it in myself to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment